Tuesday, March 05, 2002

Walking through the nasty blue-tiled and filthy passageway under the road at Slussen - the sluice - I noticed graffito that read:

    Long live proletarian feminism
    Down with bourgeois feminism


I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. But it reminded me of my two favorite pieces of graffiti from my days in Washington, D.C.

The first one, which was on the Ellington bridge for years, read: Rich people will fall. Someone added an over at the end of it. Seeing it always made me laugh.

The second was on the side of the building that years ago was the site of the Cuban restaurant Omega, once a Washington institution. Last time I saw it, there was a tiny neighborhood grocery on one side and a Persian rug store on the other. Back in the days of the Omega, there was graffito on the side of the building that read: Paul Volcker sux. Paul Volcker was Alan Greenspan's predecessor I think. Only in Washington could one see such graffiti. And I love the way the writer spelled it s-u-x. The whole thing was all so post-modern. Bourgeois feminist as well, undoubtedly.

The Swedish words for the day are röd, grön, blå and gul. They mean red, green, blue and yellow.

- by Francis S.

No comments:

 


Gaybloggar.se